Todays Daily Bible Verse

Daily Bible Verse provided by Bible-Verses.net

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Justified By Grace

Justified By Grace

 

I heard a message this morning that I had to write about. If only to get my thoughts on paper; the pastor was preaching on Galatians 3:1-9.

You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified? This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? Did you suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?

What hit home for me was when the preacher asked to fill in the Blank. “Though I know I was justified freely by God’s grace thru faith in Christ alone. I act foolishly when ________” I started to write a list of answers, when I realized that this was going to be a long list.

 I know that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of Christ (Romans 10) why then do I neglect to have my family in church? I make excuses, “I can’t find the right one”, or “the drive is to long”, and most often “they don’t believe the same thing on election and sovereignty”. Satan most often attacks my faith! Then I weaken my faith by not taking every opportunity to hear God’s word preached!           

               I also act foolishly when I punish myself for sin usually with guilt, and quite often then I neglect my devotions or prayer because I feel guilty. Who am I to think I should be punished for that which Christ already died for, and paid for! Return immediately to Christ and ask forgiveness. Especially since neglecting my time alone with God and prayer usually leads to more foolishness!

               When I go thru times of prolonged foolishness I actually start to question my faith. Which I know is kind of normal, seeing that assurance is, I believe is a blessing obtained and kept thru living a life of holiness not by our own strength but thru God’s power and plan (Ephesians 2:9). If my adoption and position in Christ are secure, then how can I ever doubt. Ephesians 1:7-14 especially verse 13 & 14

In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us. In all wisdom and insight He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory. In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.

If we have heard the message of the Gospel by the Word of Christ (Romans 10) and believed that which we heard then we are sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of Promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance. I like the way the ESV translates it better in this case it says this way “were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.  

Guarantee [Gk. arrabṓn]. A commercial term for the deposit or down payment that secures a legal claim or makes a contract binding.

So in all this I say it is utter foolishness to doubt that which God promised.  Let God be true and every man a liar!

So what is my point in all this? We are saved by faith! Continue to walk by faith now! We did not earn God’s favor thru works. We cannot keep God’s Favor by works now! Our relationship with Him is all on Him. We are weak and will continue to fail Him unless we understand and Give Him the glory and praise for which we can take no credit for, our continued sanctification!

posted to the Servant of God: by Andrew Smith

No comments:

Website Counter - I'm Watching You Buhahahah Buhahahha hahaha haha ha mmm *phew