Todays Daily Bible Verse

Daily Bible Verse provided by Bible-Verses.net

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Psalms 39: I Have Become Mute

I said, "I will guard my ways that I might not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth with a muzzle while the wicked are in my presence". 

I was mute and silent, I refrained even from good. And my sorrow grew worse, My heard was hot within me. While I was musing the fire burned, then I spoke with my tongue.

In verses 1-4 David is making a "new years" resolutions in a manner of speaking. But he's also making ungodly resolution because his confidence is in his flesh, his power, his strength, his determination to keep silent. We don't specifically know what he wanted to keep silent about, how it came to be that he felt he needed to be. We've all however, experienced sin with our tongue, so at least on that level we can relate. David says "I will...". Trust the Bible as it makes clear that any sentence that presumes that power of God and then seeks it's own glory under the banner of "I will..." will most assuredly be reproved. 

In verses 4-6 we take a breif aside; which is the setup for the cause of David's silence. Something that he makes unambiguously clear. In his realization or declaration, which ever it is, he praises God. Let us drink deeply as we think through David's obvious and definite understanding of his relationship to our Father YHWH.

LORD, make me to know my end and what is the extent of my day; let me know how transient I am. Behold you have made my days as a handsbreadth and my lifetime as nothing in your sight. Surely every man at his best is a mere breath. Surely every man walks about as a phantom, surely they make an uproar for nothing. He amasses riches and does not know who will gather them. 

Now - let's break that down.

LORD, make me to know my end and what is the extent of my day

Through the sheer pleasure and power of the HOLY SPIRIT, men are sometimes confronted with futility of things; sometimes even their own life. David asks for this, since on some level he totally recognizes his own futility in controlling himself (as the Psalmist will conclude).

Let me know how transient I am

Let me know to my core how small I really am. Allow me to believe that I play a part of no significance. Let me absorb how utterly whimsical I am in light of your total story. I matter not at all and want to see that from your eyes; so that my perspective of self might surely be put to death and your perspective of me my surely reign forever. All that I do is certainly your hand on mind, all that I say is surely your HOLY SPIRIT causing this clay pot to speak. A heavely sight to be sure, but none less than miraculous and deserving of no credit to the pot; only the potter.

Behold you've made my days as a handsbreadth and my lifetime is nothing in your sight.

Surely David would have know of Adam and Methuselah and probably would have seen long life as a gift of God; one that he was not deserving of. And not only this, with the wisdom of the HOLY SPIRIT, David certainly saw that his life would only just begin before it was time to die. He's drinking this in, as should we all.

Surely every man walks about as a phantom, surely they make an uproar for nothing. He amasses riches and does not know who will gather them. 

And now we see what is the pre-amble for Solomon's great work that everything is VANITY & PRIDE! And God rejects both with reproofs.

How does this wonderful exchange with God end? I'm SO glad you asked.

And now LORD, for what do I wait? My HOPE IS IN YOU, Deliver me from all my transgressions, make me not the reproach of the foolish.

I have become mute, I do not open my mouth. ((WHY?))

Because it is YOU who have done it.

100_4758b-300x289
This just has so much more meaning now...

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. – Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Website Counter - I'm Watching You Buhahahah Buhahahha hahaha haha ha mmm *phew