Todays Daily Bible Verse

Daily Bible Verse provided by Bible-Verses.net

Monday, December 3, 2007

Heaven Is 18 Inches Away

Something I see that is very common among professing Christians is a so-called 'head' knowledge of God and Jesus Christ. By every outward appearance, they may be searching or working for the cause of Christ, but their hearts are desperately wicked and do not seek God. They do not because they do not have a regenerate heart. They have confessed with their lips but their heart does not follow.

Matt 7:21-23

21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

So what does this mean? It means a bunch of things;

1. Clearly there are people who say they are God's but are not
2. Clearly they believe they are
3. Clearly God will say they are not
4. They practice with every outward appearance as a "True" Christian should
5. The prophesy, heal the sick, drive out demons -
6. They convince even the elect that they are saved, yet they are not

So how can we know these people?

We don't have to - we're called to serve God, and that purpose is wholly independent of the fallen world.

Why should we care?
Philippians 2:12-13

* "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
* For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure

Healthy concern for ones own salvation is a requirement, as Pauls letter to the Philippians points out. But further we must get back to the point of this post. Heaven is 18 inches away.

The verses in the Bible that support this position seem to indicate that a head knowledge of Christ is NOT a saving knowledge. That is to say, that within the context of the verse that says "confess with your lips and you shall be saved" it's clearly not enough. Is the Bible errant? No! But that is not within the scope of this post - so don't ask. I will address that in the future. However, this is the point, a saving knowledge, begins with a work in the heart that is brought about by the holy spirit. [romans 8 in it's entirety covers this]

So what is Jesus talking about when he says that he never knew these believers?

He is saying, he never knew them in the 'Agape' sense. He never knew them, because though he loved them, they never submitted to him. As a wife submits to her husband and his love covers her, Christ's love cannot cover someone who will not submit to him. James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

But they aren't saved and neither or those who reach the same level of knowledge. So what then?

Heart knowledge is the saving requirement. It only comes from the spirit within you. The Bible does say that if you confess with your lips that you are saved. So, do not doubt yourself if you believe you are. But know that believing comes not from within you, but from the spirit within.

Here is my test for you -

Can you love God perfectly?
Can you love God Fully?
Can you love God at all?

If you were standing before him today and he said, why should I let you into my kingdom of Heaven, what would you say?

These answers are the answer to your faith. Only you can know if you are saved at it between you and Jesus. Neither I or anyone else can answer these for you. Trust no one that would say that they can. They lie and they have a false prophet within them. But these principles can help guide you towards a great and full relationship with Jesus Christ. And that my brothers and sisters should be the desire of us all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very thought-provoking post.

Also, wanted to clarify that I got the point of your example. Feelings don't really do anything for us. ;)

This post reminds me that my relationship with God is really only determined by me and God and no one else. Freeing, but a bit intimidating at the same time!

Seraphim said...

absolutely!!!

Work out they salvation in fear in trembling starting to make more sense now I bet???

marcia said...

But can I submit that the "fear and trembling" are not that of being terrified of an angry God (Jonathan Edwards, anyone?), as a Christian secure in what Christ has done for me...but rather the humble terror of one asking " You say You are giving me the power to do WHAT, Lord? Me? Surely not ME! I can't do that, Lord! What? You want to do it THROUGH me? As evidence of your power IN me? You've got me shaking in my boots down here, Lord....but if You say so, here I am. Use me in whatever way you chose...and it will obviously be You, not me." Just a thought...perhaps the working out of our salvation is not a working FOR our salvation, but the works that are a natural outgrowth OF that salvation?

Joshua Barnes said...

It's absolutely not a fear of "not measuring up". Point well put; the fear in trembling is based on the realization that you're unworthy, and so narrow is the path of Christ, that you need be constantly vigilant of your walk. The fear and trembling is akin to putting your paycheck in your shirt pocket, and throughout the day, placing your hand over your pocket to make sure it's still there.

Does that mean you doubt? Absolutely not!! You're vigilantly attending to what God has given you...That's the fear and trembling that these words are referring to.

Website Counter - I'm Watching You Buhahahah Buhahahha hahaha haha ha mmm *phew